Monday, March 22, 2010

Effective decision

Coming up with a solution to the problem that would be beneficial to a large group might be very challenging, especially in a diverse group environment with people that have different values and goals.
In terms of choosing the grading system and the format of the next test the absolute majority was using compete to win technique and it was very difficult to come up with the point that would accommodate each of us. In the beginning I thought for a moment that we would never get the entire group to agree on anything, especially towards the end, when we had to come up with the test format.
I personally used collaboration as my method, because in order to come up with a beneficial for me and the rest of the group decision I had to agree at some degree to a less beneficial decision than I would accept under other circumstances.
Finally, if everyone would be using this way of handling the conflict we might have come up with more and better points. But I find that many people were thinking about their individual profit only and did not want to accept a decision that would compromise their own benefit in any way. Another benefit of the collaboration process is that by splitting into small multiple groups we could come up with more well thought points that we could accept as benefiting the entire group.
In general it was a very interesting assignment and I think that we did relatively well, because we managed to come up at least with a few ideas that we all agreed upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment